Make life your easier with these 8 things you didn’t think you needed – but surprise, you do!
1) You can roll up your clothes into bundles when packing for travel.
Rolling up your outfits, as compared to folding them up into neat (or not) rectangles saves space and leaves more room for the truly important things to pack. That is to say, highly unhealthy, highly delicious snacks.
2) Improve your Wi-Fi signal with a soda can.
Hack an old, rinsed soda can and slide it over the little rod that sticks over everyone’s modems – and that no one ever knows the name of. Do it like so:
3) Crack open a… soda bottle with your iPhone, iPad, or MacBook’s power brick.
This is not applicable to me, an avid Samsung user, but hey, so iPhones are useful for something after all! This handy hack will probably come in more useful when you’re older and actually legal. In the meantime, share this with your parents. They’ll never struggle with opening beer bottles again.
4) Catch those stray USB cords before they slither away and get lost behind your desks using binder clips.
Gone are the days of struggle, losing stray wires below the murky depths of your desk, finding wires after what seems like eons – dust laden and sneeze-inducing. Now, fret not! Find that lost (Samsung) phone charger with ease.
5) Perfectly separate an egg yolk from the white without splattering egg everywhere.
You only need a plastic bottle to make this work, and its simple too. Just point to the egg and squeeze, and your naked yellow yolk will get swooped up into the bottle.
6) Dirty sponge? Clean it in 30 seconds.
Sponges can pick up a lot of bacteria, especially if they’re left in the sink. And they have such small pores, any dirt which lodges inside and stays for seemingly forever. But wait — surprise! Cleaning sponges are easy. Popping it in the microwave for 30 seconds removes any bacteria.
7) Burnt your pan while cooking eggs? Get those stains off with vinegar, water and baking soda.
Fill the pan with water and then add a cup of white vinegar. Bring it to a boil, take it off the stove and then add 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Let it sit for a few seconds so it can cool and then wipe the mixture out of the pan!
8) Do you have sadly stinky feet? Un-stinking sneakers is now easier than ever before.
Being blessedly adolescent, body odour is a thing now. The dreaded stinky-foot has never been worse. Sprinkle some baking soda in the shoes to keep them smelling fresh, and then when you’re ready to wear them again, just tap it out outside. Wow, how amazing.
Chloe Wong 4P