Hi everyone! National Day has just passed, so let’s reaffirm our Singaporean identity once again by laughing over what we do best: creating memes, speaking Singlish and familiarising ourselves with the names of MRT stations!
- It’s so warm in my living room ‘cos Marsiling (my ceiling) fan is broken.
- My keropok lau hong. Not Kranji (crunchy) already.
- I failed my spelling, so my teacher said: Simei (see me) after school.
- Do you not understand? Okay I will Esplanade (explain it) to you slowly.
- Of course can lah. I knows, and Eunos (you know) it can be done.
- The Beatles said, “There’s nothing you can do that can’t be done. Aljunied (All You Need) is love.” *
- This train goes in only One Direction. That’s what makes it b-Yew Tee-ful. (b-eauti-ful) **
- We all have good days, and bad ones. Some are happy, Somerset. (Some are sad)
- MRT also can pun meh? You’ve Khatib (got to) be kidding me.
- Don’t you just hate it when you help settle the bill then no one wants Toa Payoh (to pay you) back?
- That pun was so terrible. It took him a week to get Dover (over)
- Po-peh! Po-peh! Po-peh! Po-peh! Kallang (garung) guniiii
- My son needs help with his studies. Can Yew Tee-ch (you tea-ch) him?
- The teh o thief got caught in the act. He pleaded for Clementi. (lemon tea)
- The librarian told me: The Bugis (book is) over there you cannot see meh?
- Wah! Your pun level: 1000. Others may try but they Kent Ridge (can’t reach)
- Knock knock.
Dhoby Ghaut… (Dobby got)
Dhoby is a free elf.**
- Enough! We’ve hit Dakota (the quota) of puns for today.
(Names of MRT stations in pink, correct words to replace them in purple)
* Lyrics of the Beatles’ “All You Need is Love”
** Based on UK band One Direction’s song “What Makes You Beautiful”
*** For Harry Potter fans
(Memes are all created by Facebook user Pamela Tham – I edited some of the memes so that the sentence structure becomes grammatically correct.)